[pulseaudio-discuss] Audio routing on Bluetooth handsfree unit

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Dec 28 06:51:27 PST 2009

On Mon, 28.12.09 13:08, Burkhard Stubert (burkhard.stubert at googlemail.com) wrote:

> Hi chaps,
>
> I am trying to build a demo for a handsfree unit (HFU) in a car. The HFU
> connects via Bluetooth to a mobile phone (the audio gateway or AG in
> Bluetooth speak). I could then play music on the mobile phone and hear it on
> the car's speakers. The HFU would also take over the phone functionality. I
> could talk over a microphone in the HFU and hear the other person talking
> over the car speakers.
>
> The HFU will run on Linux. I use pulseaudio v0.9.19 as a mediator between my
> app and the Bluetooth audio device.
>
> Does pulseaudio support this scenario, where the Bluetooth device acts as a
> source?

Recent PA versions can be both clients and providers of A2DP audio
(i.e. "Hifi"), however only clients for HFP/HSP audio
(i.e. "telephony"). However I know that someone mentioned that Intel
(?) wrote some code to allow PA/Bluez to act as HFP/HSP device, too,
but that code seems not to be available publically.

It might be a good idea to ping the Bluez folks about this as the core
HFP/HSP/A2DP implementations comes from them, on which PA then builds.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net