[pulseaudio-discuss] How to disable pulseaudio daemon

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Dec 30 06:09:30 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Burkhard Stubert at 30/12/09 13:19 did gyre and gimble:
> I would like to disable the pulseaudio daemon temporarily. PA runs per
> user session. How do I do this?

It depends on which distro you use. In Mandriva we have a ticky box in
draksound to disable PA. For other distros I don't know.

In short the sequence is:
 1. Prevent start-pulseaudio-x11 from running at login.
 2. Edit /etc/pulse/client.conf to disable auto spawning
 3. Remove redirection of ALSA's "default" device to PulseAudio.

It's quite an involved task (beyond the above many application defaults
may be different for PA vs. non-PA), so YMMV.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]