[pulseaudio-discuss] Sink for event sounds? WAS: paplay - sound roles?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Dec 31 09:43:26 PST 2009

On Tue, 29.12.09 07:43, Ng Oon-Ee (ngoonee at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 15:45 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Mon, 28.12.09 17:41, Ng Oon-Ee (ngoonee at gmail.com) wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a way to specify a sound to be a 'system sound' as defined
> by
> > > System Sounds on pavucontrol, when played by paplay?
> > >
> > > If so, then programs such as pidgin which allow playing event
> > > notifications through a command would be useable without
> modification.
> >
> > paplay --property=media.role=event ...
> >
> > Lennart
> >
> A follow-up on this, how do I move event sounds to a different sink? For
> other streams I simply use pavucontrol, but it doesn't seem that there's
> any selector for the "System Sounds" item. It just selects the
> 'normal' (laptop sound card output) and I can't figure a way to move it
> to my BT headset without turning the sound card output off.

If you move an event sound stream to a particular device PA will
remember that and apply it as well to all other streams tagged
"event". Of course its kinda hard doing that given that they usually
are very short in time (a hackish workaround however is to play the
login sound which is much longer then the rest).

There is an API to modify the device for all event streams, however
there is no app currently making use of this. Hopefully g-v-c will
gain that feature soon.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net