[pulseaudio-discuss] module-hal-detect not loading HDMI devices...

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Feb 10 02:51:03 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 09/02/09 22:04 did gyre and gimble:
> This is almost the same situation as with SPDIF: we have no
> information about what the various subdevices of a device actually
> refer to. On those creative cards 0,0 is front, 0,1 is rear. On other
> cards 0,0 is analog, 0,1 is spdif. On this particular card 0,0 seems
> to be analog and, 0,1 hdmi.
> Or in shorter words: things aren't so simple as they appear, but SPDIF
> and HDMI support has been fixed in 0.9.15.

While I can't test (as it's not my h/w), I'm not 100% convinced that
0.9.15 will fix this user's hdmi.

You say above: "On this particular card 0,0 seems to be analog and, 0,1
hdmi.", but I don't see it that way.

 From what I can tell, hw:1,3 is HDMI (alsa.card = 1, alsa.device = 3)
and there is no hw:1,0 hw:1,1, nor hw:1,2 (from a more extended lshal
output)

It seems to me that "3" is the first device number to be found and the
code in module hal-detect will simply completely miss it out as it only
opens cards where device == 0.

Can you elaborate a bit in case my analysis is flawed?

Cheers

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]