[pulseaudio-discuss] mplayer support

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Feb 20 07:57:44 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Kevin DeKorte at 20/02/09 14:55 did gyre and gimble:

> It seems that in the mplayer SVN tree there were these logs yesterday
>
> r28669 | reimar | 2009-02-19 07:55:48 -0700 (Thu, 19 Feb 2009) | 4 lines
>
> Drop official maintainership of ao_pulse since libpulseaudio still has
> no proper (i.e. complete) API documentation and too many bugs I am no longer
> willing to take responsibility for the ao.

This is just a line in the MAINTAINERS file:

http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk/DOCS/tech/MAINTAINERS?r1=27955&r2=28669

> - ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> r28668 | reimar | 2009-02-19 07:00:33 -0700 (Thu, 19 Feb 2009) | 2 lines
>
> Work around a PulseAudio bug that causes MPlayer to hang after unpausing.

http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk/libao2/ao_pulse.c?r1=26775&r2=28668

Nice, although I'm sure there is a more elegant fix.

Lennart, can you comment here? I'm guessing it's something simple like
the stream is corked in some capacity.

> Is there anything that can be done to provide the information to the
> mplayer developers so that pulse audio is properly supported.

Well I've been on this list a while and I don't remember any mplayer
developer asking about anything they were unsure of. I'm also on IRC a
fair bit and I've not heard any devs drop in to ask there either.

Not being mind readers, it's pretty hard to know what they would want.

The API docs are there although the whole lock-free nature of pulse does
make it complex.

Without people willing to ask questions and to help out with the doc
writing (e.g. the people using it can help make it beter!) there is not
a massive amount we can do. It's not like there are infinite resources
available :(

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]