[pulseaudio-discuss] module-remap-sink question

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jan 7 15:34:20 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Jan Kasprzak at 07/01/09 22:58 did gyre and gimble:
> 	Hello,
>
> thanks for the module-remap-sink - this is apparently excatly what I need
> to have virtual soundcards for my dual-seat setup.
>
> 	However, I am probably doing something wrong, because even when
> I move the stream to another virtual sink, almost all outputs still play.
> The detailed description follows:
>
> 	My OS is Fedora 10/x86_64 (pulseaudio-0.9.13-6.fc10.x86_64).
>
> 	My hardware is ASUS M3A32-MVP mainboard. The sound device is reported
> by lspci as "ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia", alsamixer -D hw:0 reports
> "Card: HDA ATI SB", and "Chip: Analog Devices AD1988B". This card has six
> rear jacks, described in manual as
>
> 	Line in
> 	Line out (front speakers or headphones)
> 	Microphone
> 	Center/Subwoofer
> 	Rear speakers
> 	Side speakers
>
> 	I have tried to disable module-hal-detect and module-detect
> in /etc/pulse/default.pa, and instead added the following physical
> device, and four virtual devices:
>
> load-module module-alsa-sink sink_name=eightchannel device=hw:0 channels=8 channel_map=front-left,front-right,rear-left,rear-right,center,subwoofer,side-left,side-right
>
> load-module module-remap-sink sink_name=virtfront master=eightchannel channels=2 master_channel_map=front-left,front-right channel_map=front-left,front-right
>
> load-module module-remap-sink sink_name=virtrear master=eightchannel channels=2 master_channel_map=rear-left,rear-right channel_map=front-left,front-right
>
> load-module module-remap-sink sink_name=virtcentersub master=eightchannel channels=2 master_channel_map=center,subwoofer channel_map=front-left,front-right
>
> load-module module-remap-sink sink_name=virtside master=eightchannel channels=2 master_channel_map=side-left,side-right channel_map=front-left,front-right
>
> 	Now when I create an output stream (I use mpd), I can see it
> in pavucontrol, and I can see all five sinks.  The only problem is that the
> sinks are not labeled by their sink_names, but instead the first one is
> "HDA ATI SB AD198x Analog", and all four others are labeled
> "Remapped HDA ATI ...", which is kind of unreadable.

That's certainly not idea  :s

> 	When I redirect the mpd stream to any of the above sinks
> except the "virtcentersub", the sound is playing in all four output jacks,
> only in the Center/subwoofer jack the right channel remains silent.
>
> 	When I redirect the mpd stream to the "virtcentersub" sink,
> all output jacks remain silent, except the Center/Subwoofer jack
> now plays correctly both channels (which is what I expect it to do).
>
> 	I have also verified that I have the channels in the "eightchannel"
> sink set up correctly - when I move their respective sliders in pavucontrol,
> I can hear the volume change of the correct channel of the correct jack.
>
> 	So my question is - why the sound always plays to all channels
> (except the right channel of the center/subwoofer jack) even when directed
> through the module-remap-sink to only one jack?

My first guess would be to check your alsa switches (alsamixer -c 0) to
make sure you've not got some kind of option to "mix front, rear and
side channels together in some magic way" turned on.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]