[pulseaudio-discuss] paplay by normal user, would launch pulseaudio daemon automatically

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jan 8 12:00:30 PST 2009

On Wed, 07.01.09 00:34, Lennart Poettering (lennart at poettering.net) wrote:

> On Wed, 17.12.08 23:51, Chen, Hao H (hao.h.chen at intel.com) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Strange behavior for paplay.
> > [As normal user]
> > No pulseaudio daemon launched before, paplay audio file => caused new pulseaudio daemon launched automatically.
> > [As root]
> > No pulseaudio daemon launched before, paplay audio file, "connection refused"
> >
> > Please refer to attached logs of normal user and root.
> > Tested on FC10, with pulseaudio 0.9.13 integrated.
>
> This is probably an issue with ConsoleKit not working in a su
> environment.
>
> I have now filed a bug about this, so that I don't forget to have a
> look on this:
>
> http://pulseaudio.org/ticket/450

Autospawning as root doesn't work because I added an explicit check to
the code not to do autospawning as root. For security reasons I want
to make sure that PA is not started automatically behind the
administrators back so that we don't open potential security holes to
the root account.

Sorry, but I see no reason to reverse that decision.