[pulseaudio-discuss] Very crackly audio and crashing from cpu overload

Chris chris1.noreply at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 8 16:23:32 PST 2009

2009/1/8 Renke Brausse <rbrausse at gmx.net>:
> sorry, off topic - but I can't resist...
>
> Am Freitag, den 09.01.2009, 00:50 +0100 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
>> and
>> of course because software I write doesn't have any bugs!
>
> do you need a new job? just contact me :) [:p]

If you need a programmer who can produce obscure bugs out of thin air,
I'm your man, otherwise go for Lennart!

Anyway, I tried the nv driver in case it was the nvidia taint messing
up things but no change in behaviour.

Looking at Lennart's options, I doubt that the sound card driver is
bad. The ICE1712 chip has been around for at least 6 years in my
experience. My employer makes embedded Linux devices and we've used
various M-Audio devices, all using the ICE1712 since RedHat 7.3!
Doesn't make it impossible but quite unlikely.

Whilst I don't know much about the driver in detail, and I guess it
hasn't been touched for a long time, I was under the impression it was
a well documented and supported device.

So I'm still thinking that the problem is related to my XOrg CPU usage
and some kind of interrupt issue. When I was using the nvidia driver,
CPU usage by Xorg was around 30-40%! Now I'm on the OSS nv driver and
it's about 15-20% (think that's for 1 core only). Doesn't seem that
much but maybe it's a timing issue related to interrupts.

I'll have a play with latencytop in the next few days. Thanks again
for the help. I'm getting closer to sorting this out and if I do I'll
try to post it web-wide so googlers can find it.

Cheers, Chris.