[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio cannot recognise ALSA plughw

Aleksander Kamenik aleksander at krediidiinfo.ee
Mon Jan 19 12:33:03 PST 2009

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 19.01.09 21:38, Aleksander Kamenik (aleksander at krediidiinfo.ee) wrote:
>
>> Lennart Poettering wrote:
>>
>>> This really looks like some ALSA issue. I fear they only way to figure
>>> out what is going on is using gdb and stepping through
>>> pa_alsa_set_hw_params(). Do you think you can do this?
>> I've player around with gdb in the past, though don't remember much. In
>> the worst case I'll learn something :).
>>
>> IIRC with Fedora I have to get a -debug package of pulseaudio first to
>> get the debug symbols? I can't find it though.
>
> debuginfo-install pulseaudio
> LD_BIND_NOW=1 gdb /usr/bin/pulseaudio
> b pa_alsa_set_hw_params
>
> And then use "n" to step though the code to check which call in
> pa_alsa_set_hw_params() actually fails.
>
> Lennart

I'm not sure what I'm searching for.

Got this at some point:

E: alsa-util.c: snd_pcm_avail_update() returned a value that is
exceptionally large: 5244504 bytes (29730 ms) Most likely this is an
ALSA driver bug. Please report this issue to the PulseAudio developers.
N: module-alsa-sink.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 40.00 ms

later:

N: module-alsa-source.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 40.00 ms
N: module-alsa-source.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 80.00 ms
N: module-alsa-source.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 160.00 ms
N: module-alsa-source.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 320.00 ms
N: module-alsa-source.c: Increasing wakeup watermark to 368.53 ms
E: alsa-util.c: snd_pcm_avail_update() returned a value that is
exceptionally large: 12456236 bytes (70613 ms) Most likely this is an
ALSA driver bug. Please report this issue to the PulseAudio developers.

I saw this quite a few times (the function is called several times).
While stepping through output of this error:

http://pastebin.com/m408f914d

Is this it? If not, what am I searching for? In another part I've seen
real-time event 62 too, if that means anything.

I currently have my integrated nvidia chip enabled too, so some of it
may be from it too.

Regards,

--

Aleksander Kamenik