[pulseaudio-discuss] Missing second HDA playback device

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 19 14:26:28 PST 2009

On Sun, 18.01.09 13:08, Jon Smirl (jonsmirl at gmail.com) wrote:

> If I understand this right the reason why
> pci_8086_284b_alsa_playback_1 didn't open is because alsa didn't
> define any device strings for it.

No, not really. WHat I tried to explain is that ALSA doesn't define
how this subdevice relates to other subdevices. In a way you could say
that "iec958:" is a a device string for it.

> I loaded snd-hda-intel like this which is the right jack configuration.
> options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-digout
>
> My SPDIF on hw:0,1 is missing from the following list.
> So it appears that the config files in /usr/share/alsa aren't building
> the right device strings.

Yes, aplay -L style enumeration (i.e. snd_device_name_hint) is broken
on many devices. PA doesn't use it (but mostly for other reasons). On
not a single of my devices the list shown by "aplay -L" is
correct. Either it is incomplete or lists device strings that do not
work at all. (https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=3570)

> The conclusion is that ALSA is not describing the devices correctly,
> right? Now I need to figure out why ALSA didn't get this right when I
> told it the jack setup on the module params, model=6stack-digout. The
> ALSA hw devices are right, it's these devices from the config files
> that are all wrong.

No, ALSA doesn't get the list right. But even if it would, the
information is incomplete for PA's needs: we need to know how the
devices relate to each other: how spdif and analog are exclusive to
each other and things like that. (https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=3573)