[pulseaudio-discuss] Very crackly audio and crashing from cpu overload

Chris chris1.noreply at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 21 16:26:13 PST 2009

Sorry to resurrect this thread again buy my audio problems persist and
are driving me mad.

I notice that when I start playing audio, things are pretty good, then
there's a glitch and the "wakeup watermark" is increased. After that,
the glitches become more frequent and the watermark is increased
again, and the glitches become even more frequent.

Would it be possible to add an option to lock-down this setting? It
seems to work much better for me at lower settings but it is
automatically increased.

Here's an example from my /var/log/messages:

Jan 22 00:16:17 localhost pulseaudio[2817]: module-alsa-sink.c:
Increasing wakeup watermark to 23.95 ms
Jan 22 00:16:30 localhost pulseaudio[2817]: module-alsa-sink.c:
Increasing wakeup watermark to 47.89 ms
Jan 22 00:16:37 localhost pulseaudio[2817]: module-alsa-sink.c:
Increasing wakeup watermark to 71.27 ms

See how it took 13 seconds from one increase in the setting, then the
audio glitched again 7 seconds later. That seems to be the pattern, as
the watermark is automatically increased, things get worse. I'd be
grateful if any modification could be made to stop this setting from
changing.

Thanks, Chris.