[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio client / audio driver for windows

Tuomo Pelkonen tumi at jyu.fi
Thu Jan 29 09:32:23 PST 2009

I am interested in porting / keeping the pulseaudio client library up to
date on windows.

My plan was creating Vistas global Audio Processing Object (APO) that
communicates to a local sound "server" which in turn acts as pulseaudio
client and pushes audio to the pulseaudio server. My intention is to
keep my code open source but the compilation of the APOs and Windows
drivers need Microsoft Windows Driver Kit which of course is not
available without proper MSDN license. So participating in this project
is not too trivial :/

Does my project rise any ideas or is there somebody that has thought of
doing similar things?

regards

Tuomo Pelkonen

---------

PA was once ported to Win32, but tha port has been neglected and would
need some non-trivial updating to work again.

There has been talk about doing a windows driver that forwards to PA
every now and then. But to my knowledge noone capable and sincere
enough actually really did something about it. Much talk and no do in
this area.

someone wrote winesd years ago, so something like this is definitely
possible to write, but quite frankly I have no clue about Windows and
especially not driver development on Windows so I am really not the
right person to ask about this.

You'd have to port at least the PA client libraries to Windows to get
started. Given that the client libs don't use much of the fancier
Linuxish stuff that should be fairly easy to do. Porting the server
itself would be more work.

Patches always welcome!

Lennart