[pulseaudio-discuss] Few questions about pulseaudio

Maxim Levitsky maximlevitsky at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 10:55:22 PST 2009

Usually first thing I did was to remove pulseaudio from the system, as
it didn't work with many programs, but since I do like the concept of
it, I decided to give it another try.

Here on ubuntu 8.10, it works nicely, I now reinstall in on all my
systems.

I have few questions though:

* Is this possible to make skype record from pulseaudio (I call it PA
from now on)?

Playback through skype works fine now, and thanks, but I would like to
do same with recording.

I am asking this, as maybe you created a workaround for this in dev
version of skype.

* It seems that PA supports network sound, I found this to be very nice
feature, for example I could play sounds remotely, but how I connect to
remote server, but without disabling to auth system?

* I found a bug: when trying to record from monitor sources, nothing is
recorded, if nothing is playing on the corresponding device.
In this case PA should instead return silence, as current behavior hangs
recording apps (for example gnome-sound-recorder).

* Is it possible to combine input from several cards together?
This would be cool for karaoke, as I could combine input of monitor of
sound player with microphone, and record from that.

* pavucontrol doesn't allow to set volumes higher that 100%, although
paman does. This would be nice workaround for some sound files I have
( too lazy to normalize their volume...)

* pulseaudio mixer seems to be build around input and output devices.
each device has just one volume, but each device can have several
inputs, but currently PA doesn't allow to configure that, will  (is)
that (be) possible?

(also there is a mic boost control on many cards, and PA doesn't
understand it)

* RTP send function doesn't seem to work, at least not with
gstreamer/mplayer (tried on same computer)

* If I choose to kill a sound stream in pa settings, this makes
corresponding app stall (even with native PA interface, like rhythmbox)
(I set gstreamer to use PA)

Best regards,
	Maxim Levitsky