[pulseaudio-discuss] Multiple remote sinks

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein.h at lvor.halvorsen.cc
Sat Jan 31 03:59:29 PST 2009

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> First of all padevchooser is dead! It's use is generally not promoted.

I don't think this is clear from the documentation.
In fact, it says that it works "perfectly". It should say "deprecated"

> On each of the machines that you actually run stuff on (e.g. your
> desktop) you want to run the mozule-zeroconf-discover module (you can
> enable this via papref's "Make discovered network sinks available
> locally" (or something like that!).
>
> This will add a new sink to your local pulseaudio that will be treated
> just like another local sound card.
>
> When you play sound on your local machine, simply fire up pavucontrol
> and then find the stream you want to move to the kitchen, and either
> right click or use the little drop down menu thing to select the kitchen
> sink (pun fully intended ;))

I will look into this. Thanks!

> Sadly there is no handy gui way to output to both sinks at the same
> time... you can do it but you'll need to load a module-combine with the
> correct sink names to create another local virtual sink that copies
> audio to both devices. This will send the same data to both sinks which
> you could argue is not efficient. An alternative to that is to use the
> RTP modules to multicast the data instead.

(44100 * 16 * 2) / 8 = 176 kBps pr. server.
My local network can handle this :-)

But prey tell: I'm very interested in the RTP solution. Will this make
vlc running on Windows able to output to the networked sinks as well?

	sv.