[pulseaudio-discuss] Stability of PulseAudio on Ubuntu 9.04?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Jul 2 12:10:02 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 13:35 +0000, Dan Chen wrote:
> Timothy J Massey <tmassey <at> obscorp.com> writes:
> > Basically, I cannot keep PA up and running under Ubuntu 9.04.

You want to look towards Luke Yelavich's PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~themuso/+archive/ppa

> The symptoms stem from Ubuntu issues _much_ more so than PulseAudio ones.

I think I disagree.  I saw a lot of stability simply by using Luke's
packages on Jaunty.

> Essentially, move to Karmic asap,

Karmic?  You mean the current development release right, complete with
all of it's "work in progress" warts, yes?

That is a completely unreasonable suggestion to anyone except a hacker
willing to live with all of the problems of using a work in progress.

>  because there's little momentum to put
> 2.6.31-git and PulseAudio 0.9.15 into Jaunty.

Yeah.  This is really starting to annoy me.  There seems to be little
momentum to do much of anything with a Ubuntu release once it's released
stable and the continuing response for any problems found post-release
is "try the next development release".

Anyway, this is heading quite OT for this list.  I just wanted to add
the PPA pointer for OP and suggest that using an WIP release is not a
suitable solution for most people.

Cheers,
b.