[pulseaudio-discuss] How to fix high pitched voice while recording

Vlad Volodin vest.84 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 15:43:40 PDT 2009

Hello everybody,
I appreciate if you can help me, because I couldn't find any solution.

My problem is the next one. I'm using Ubuntu 9.04, where Pulseaudio
has been installed. I also have a webcam (with microphone):
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 041e:4064 Creative Technology, Ltd
When I've upgraded from 8.10, I've found that any sound recording from
it doesn't work well. It looks like it capture the voice with wrong
sample rate.
I've investigated the problem and found, that if I capture the voice
with sample rate 22050 Hz, and play it with 11025 Hz, sound is good.
I've also tried to use analog mic with gnome-sound-recorder or with
skype and everything is ok.
For example, when I use the next string:

parec --device=alsa_input.usb_device_41e_4064_noserial_ifsound_card_0_alsa_capture_0
--format=s16le --rate=22050 --channels=2 | sox --type raw -s2L --rate
11025 --channels 2 - --type wav output.wav

I can play my voice successfully, but when rate1 == rate2 (22050, or
even 8000), the captured voice is twice fast than original.

Please, guys help me, if you know or have any assumptions about it,
because I don't know what is wrong. I can assume that underlying alsa
driver might be changed in future versions of kernel, but in 2.6.31
my microphone still doesn't work.

Thanks,
Vlad