[pulseaudio-discuss] mixing and selecting left and right channels

Max Waterman davidmaxwaterman at fastmail.co.uk
Sat Jul 11 00:47:09 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm new to this list - I hope this is the right place for my question.

I'm deaf in one ear, and am a linux developer. I would like to attempt
to develop an application that will allow me to choose any
combination/selection of the left and right input and output channels.

The most significant combination to me is 'mix of left and right
channels to output on only left channel', but there are quite a few
other combinations that could be useful for others.

For example, some language learning tracks have one language on the left
channel and another language on the right, and being able to select just
one channel is important, preferably to both left and right outputs at
the same time.

Another example is; being deaf in my right ear, I don't bother putting
the right ear-phone in, and leave it dangling. This means that the sound
leaks and it annoying to others sitting nearby. So, being able to have
just one channel play (as a mix of left and right inputs) is desirable.

 From reading the documentation, it seems like I should be able to do
what I want with pulseaudio, but the mixing discussions all seem to be
about different stereo sources, rather than mixing/selecting left and
right channels.

Perhaps there's already a tool to do this, though I doubt it since the
demand is quite niche.

Can someone give me some guidance?

Thanks,

Max.