[pulseaudio-discuss] Working with PA and jack

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Jul 12 10:21:20 PDT 2009

On 13 Jun 2009, Lennart Poettering verbalised:

> On Sat, 13.06.09 17:07, Nix (nix at esperi.org.uk) wrote:
>
>> Plus: anything can make function calls, but personally after one
>> experience too many with libdbus killing my entire application without
>> warning or notice because it disliked something I'd done, I'd rather
>> throw myself off a very high cliff than use libdbus in anything for
>> which crashing has bad consequences. Note that e.g. the X developers
>> came to the same conclusion regarding using dbus in the X server. If PA
>> moves to only allowing clients to communicate with it via dbus, then
>> applications that must not crash will have to stop talking to PA, it's
>> that simple.
>
> Ah, more D-Bus FUD. How I love it. Can't get enough of it.

The truth is FUD now? There are many places in the dbus client libraries
where they will unconditionally terminate the process for reasons beyond
the reasonable control of an application. That's fact, not FUD. If you'd
prefer to ignore it, fine. The X devs didn't, so d-bus is a very much
optional and default-off part of the X server.