[pulseaudio-discuss] system sounds on KDE 4.3 too loud

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jul 16 03:09:09 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Ozan Çağlayan at 16/07/09 06:49 did gyre and gimble:
> Malte Gell wrote On 16-07-2009 08:09:
>> Hello,
>>
>> i use pulse 0.9.14 with KDE 4.3. In the Phonon setting of KDE I set pulseaudio
>> as the top device for playback.
>>
>> Ok, and in pavucontrol I've set system sounds to 50% loudness. But system
>> sound is still much louder than e.g. MP3 playback which has 85% loudness! How
>> can that be? Is Phonon broken and does not use pulse?
>>

> It's possible that the system sounds widget in pavucontrol is not
> working at all if the distribution you're using isn't using libcanberra
> for playing the event sounds which should be the case with all the major
> KDE4 distributions around.

I suspect this is indeed the case. The KDE system sounds are not tied in
to the pulse ones. I think there is a little hack you can do for this
tho' (I've not tested):

Write a small script called kdepulsenotify.sh and put it somewhere,

In the script do:

#!/bin/bash
export PULSE_PROP_media.role="event"
exec paplay "$1"

Make your script executable.

In systemsettings go to:

Notifications -> Player Settings -> Use External Player
enter the path to your script.

Then let me know if it works :)

Col

PS I'm working on proper pulseaudio integration in which this hack would
not be necessary.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]