[pulseaudio-discuss] Soundcard with hardware mixer

Malte Gell malte.gell at gmx.de
Thu Jul 16 12:33:48 PDT 2009

Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote

> > Currently I use a Audigy LS which has no hardware mixer. Does hwmix
> > improve latencies very much?

> I don't know. Pulseaudio doesn't use hw mixing even if it's available.

Ok, so buying such a card has no advantage.

> But hw mixing should allow you to run Skype and Pulseaudio side by side
> so that Skype doesn't go through Pulseaudio. I can imagine that there
> could be some advantage of a setup like that, but no idea how
> significant the advantage would be. But if this is a networking issue,
> hw mixing won't help a bit.

I've now tried Skype directly with plughw:CA0106,0 which is my Audigy. Now
without Pulse sound is fine. With pulse audio, sound stutters... Do I have a
bad pulse setup or is pulse audio broken?

I have attached my ~/.asoundrc and daemon.conf from pulse it would be nice if
you could say whether it is fine or not.

Thanx
Malte