[pulseaudio-discuss] PA and OS X

Daniel Mack daniel at caiaq.de
Fri Jul 17 01:18:52 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 08:23:55AM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Daniel Mack at 17/07/09 07:46 did gyre and gimble:
>> I've provided some code to do such things to xine many years ago. But
>> the code still runs fine and AudioUnits (the technique the code uses) is
>> still the way to do it.
>>
>>   http://hg.debian.org/hg/xine-lib/xine-lib-1.2/file/f54baed366ef/src/audio_out/audio_coreaudio_out.c
>
> Somewhat unrelated, but Diego has said already his work on the pulse
> output in xine needs a lot of love!

Just to make sure we're on the same page: I was talking about taking the
code from xine and re-use it in PA. It's about how to set up the audio
graph and handling the pull-IO technique which we wouldn't have to
reinvent.

>> And I could probably help here, too - I've been hacking Mac OS X audio
>> drivers (kexts) in the past and know about some nasty pitfalls.
>
> Awesome! This is exactly the kind of experience we need.
>
> Just out of curiosity, and assuming the desktop bit gets done first, do
> you know if it's possible to play with the audio output layer on the
> iphone? I wonder if it's possible to hack in a different kext there and
> use a different output device for the built in media player. That would
> be cool :D

Never done anything with the iPhone, but I could ask some people who
did.

> While the market for doing this on iPhone -> Linux is probably quite low
> (not sure how many there would be), I'd imagine the market for doing
> iPhone -> OSX is much larger!

Agreed :)

Daniel