[pulseaudio-discuss] PA and OS X

Daniel Mack daniel at caiaq.de
Sat Jul 18 05:12:57 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:12:38AM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Daniel Mack at 17/07/09 09:18 did gyre and gimble:
>
>> Never done anything with the iPhone, but I could ask some people who
>> did.
>
> Cool. I'm just getting into that scene myself, so picking up all sorts
> of interesting stuff...

Ok, I've asked people with quite some iPhone experience and this is what
they came up with.

There is no way to redirect the default audio output of an iPhone to
anything else than the built-in sound device. The API does not allow
that. One would need to hack a kernel module for that, but this is not
documented and Apple will never approve such an application as modifing
the kernel's behaviour is clearly nothing they will let users do. And
apperantly, nobody has ever tried to put any efford in re-engineering
that part yet, not even in the jail-break world.

So the only audio you can get access to is the material you generate
yourself. You're of course free to not send that to the default output
but anywhere else.

The only possible (and also quite useful) application would be to
implement a PA client as an applicaiton to use your iPhone as audio sink
for other PA servers.

Hope that clarifies the situation a bit :)

Daniel