[pulseaudio-discuss] problem with load-module

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jul 21 03:18:52 PDT 2009

On Tue, 21.07.09 12:02, nikhil.rao at wipro.com (nikhil.rao at wipro.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is regarding the issue I found after integrating the pulseaudio.
> When pulseaudio daemon is running it is found that either of capture or
> playback works.
> I think problem lies in using the same device as sink and source as
> defined in the default.pa.
>
> "load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,0 sink_name=i2s_out
> load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0,0 source_name=aux_in"
>

> I am not sure if it fails to load the module when the same device is
> used for sink and source because when I capture on different source
> device say hw:1,0 (USB audio hub), the capture seems to work.
>
> Any pointer on how to resolve this issue would be really appreciated.
>
> Pardon me if this is already discussed here.

Maybe your device is only siplex instead of duplex?

More likely however, this is simply caused by using the "hw:0,0"
device string, which is really bad style anyway. Use "front:0"
instead. Or even better (on any recent PA version) "device_id=0"
instead of "device=..."

Also, on more recent PA versions it is recommended to use
"module-alsa-card" instead of "module-alsa-sink" and
"module-alsa-source". This will automatically detect all possible
combinations of input and output.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net