[pulseaudio-discuss] changing sample rate for webcam microphone

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jul 22 10:18:36 PDT 2009

On Thu, 16.07.09 22:30, Malte Gell (malte.gell at gmx.de) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have to change the sample rate for my USB webcam microphone in order to use
> it. So far I used ALSA:

That sounds like broken hw that should be worked around in the quirks
db in the ALSA USB audio driver. Please report this to the ALSA/kernel
folks.

PA will ask for 44khz by default, but if that isn't supported it will
take the next higher, and then next lower sample rate to that. If your
driver says 44khz is supported but the hw doesn't actually work, then
the alsa driver should not have offered that in the first place.

Please make sure to file a bug so that this can be fixed at the
appropriate place for good instead of working around it at places
where shouldn't be worked around.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net