[pulseaudio-discuss] 64-bit Flash 10 and PulseAudio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jul 23 06:30:01 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Tanu Kaskinen at 23/07/09 14:09 did gyre and gimble:
> Anyway, I figured that maybe Iceweasel would print some interesting
> error messages when run from a terminal window. That it did. I got a
> flood of the following error from libasound:
>
> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
>
> So Flash doesn't seem to use the hardware directly after all! Instead,
> it seems to be hardcoded to use dmix. (Hey Adobe, WTF is so hard in
> using the default device??) I added this to ~/.asoundrc:
>
> pcm.!dmix {
>     type pulse
> }
>
> And it worked!

That is very interesting!

I've long suspected this may be the case as users have popped up from
time to time stating that this was causing issues.

I think I'll put this into our standard alsa+pulse config - doubt it
would do any harm.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]