[pulseaudio-discuss] [PACKAGERS] Please disable OSS in your distributions!

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jul 23 07:41:00 PDT 2009

Heya!

Just a little heads-up for distro packagers: please consider disabling
OSS in your distributions!

We did so in Fedora 11 and it went very well, we only got two bug
reports or so and the respective programs have now been fixed. Fedora
11 installations are now OSS-free by default, which I think is a big
step ahead to drain the linux audio swamp.

I'd really like to see that other distros follow suit. The recommended
way to disable OSS is to make sure the snd-pcm-oss/snd-seq-oss modules
aren't loaded anymore by default when when snd-pcm is. This can be
done by commenting a line in /etc/modprobe.d/ somewhere. Doing this
allows folks to easily reenable OSS again but has the advantrage that
legacy apps cannot fuck up device access for PA anymore.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net