[pulseaudio-discuss] [PACKAGERS] Please disable OSS in your distributions!

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jul 23 08:58:11 PDT 2009

On Thu, 23.07.09 16:26, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

>> I'd really like to see that other distros follow suit. The recommended
>> way to disable OSS is to make sure the snd-pcm-oss/snd-seq-oss modules
>> aren't loaded anymore by default when when snd-pcm is. This can be
>> done by commenting a line in /etc/modprobe.d/ somewhere. Doing this
>> allows folks to easily reenable OSS again but has the advantrage that
>> legacy apps cannot fuck up device access for PA anymore.
>
> What are your thoughts on ossp progress?
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tj/ossp/
>
> It seesm 2.6.31 will have the necessary stuff in it to support this
> (CUSE support is in 2.6.31rc series), which should mean much friendlier
> OSS app support with PA.
>
> I know you were a bit sceptical in the past, but has this changed?

CUSE is generally not a bad idea, though it has problems, most
prominently in the fact that the OSS timing model is simply too broken
to make CUSE work correctly with /dev/dsp mapped to PA. Also, not sure
how emulating /dev/dsp is supposed to work in a multi-user env.

I think that the need for emulating OSS is simply not as big as people
think. At least if I interpret the number of bugs that got posted
against F11 correctly, the need for OSS really is not that big
anymore.

Judging from our experiment in F11 I really see no need for enabling
the cuse emulation stuff in Fedora.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net