[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio and RTP

Jukka Kommeri jukka.kommeri at cern.ch
Tue Jul 28 05:36:49 PDT 2009

Hello,

I have been trying out the rtp-features of Pulseaudio in Ubuntu. So far the only pulseaudio and distributiuon combination that seems to have worked for has been Hardy. With hardy and Pulseaudio 0.9.10 I am having trouble lowering the buffer of the rtp-recv module. This is not a big deal if I did not also use the LOOP parameter with rtp-send module. Because then the latency of >100ms is a bit disturbing. The loop is there because in my application it is required that speaker also hears himself and also it makes it easier to record a conversation of several people. Could the loop be made so that it would not go through the rtp-module?

If not, then is there a way to lower the latency of the rtp-recv module in Hardy or should I try to make a >0.9.11 version of Pulseaudio work. As I have tried on Jaunty both 0.9.14 and 0.9.15. One cannot load rtp-recv module and in the other it starts requesting rewinds after a few seconds due to "end of underrun". I admit that I am not that familiar with Linux sound world so I might be forgetting very basic things and any help is appreciated.

Best regards,
Jukka Kommeri

ps. This is the hardware I have and I mainly use the USB headset by disabling autodetects and loading alsa-modules for the USB-devices.
0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xfe9fc000 irq 21
1 [Headset        ]: USB-Audio - Micronas USB Headset
                      Micronas Micronas USB Headset at usb-0000:00:1d.1-2, full speed