[pulseaudio-discuss] missing card profiles

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jul 31 08:03:21 PDT 2009

On Fri, 31.07.09 16:57, sladivadi (sladivadi at verat.net) wrote:

> Hi!
> I've got a Realtek ALC888 Audio Codec on my motherboard. It has six 3.5mm
> jacks and each of them has a DAC so you can use all of them for output.
> There is no profile to use more than three of them (5.1).
> The Alsamixer shows a 6ch/8ch switch but it seems PA ignores this?

PA relies on the correct definition of ALSA's surround40:xxx/
surround51:xxx/... style devices. The one defined whith the highest number
of channels is surround71:xxxx. There is no definition for a higher
number of channels, currently in ALSA.

Does 'aplay -D plug:surround71:xxxx -f CD < /dev/urandom' work? If it
does but isn't picked up by PA then this might be a PA issue. But if
it doesn't then this is a simply a limitation of ALSA and should be
brought to the attention of the ALSA devs.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net