[pulseaudio-discuss] PA Startup problem on Acer Aspire One

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 1 12:41:18 PDT 2009

Strange issue.. my Acer Aspire One is having issues since I installed pulseaudio on it.. I think they might be related to bootup speed, since this model has a rather slow SSD from which it boots. I'm running PA 0.9.15

Essentially, if I start PA using the 'normal' method (i.e. just install it and let the scripts do what they are supposed to) then I get no audio. I can start pavucontrol and I can see activity in the vu meters for the applications, but there is no activity on the vu meter for the output (Intel HDA). I also can't play anything using direct ALSA output in an application, because something (PA presumably) has control of the sound card, although module-suspend-on-idle is loaded.

If I kill pulseaudio and start it again from the command line, it all works correctly.

I have a suspicion that it might be due to the slow bootup and perhaps something to do with suspend on idle. Can I disable suspend on idle somehow to test this theory (I couldn't find it in default.pa)? Anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Mark