[pulseaudio-discuss] Microphone input filter

Toby Collett tcollett+lists at plan9.net.nz
Wed Jun 3 11:25:02 PDT 2009

Hi Maarten,

There seem to be three levels that affect the mic, the 'Front Mic Boost'
which is 0,33,66 or 100%, the capture input level and a mysterious input
labeled digital. I have played with many combinations of the levels and
cannot find any where my voice is audible but has an acceptable level of
background noise.

It is possible that these is some driver level thing going wrong, but so far
I have not been able to identify it. The mic is built into the keyboard of
my laptop just above the harddrive, so I am not surprised it is noisy, that
is why I was wondering if some filtering would help.

Toby

2009/6/3 Maarten Bosmans <mkbosmans at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Toby Collett
> <tcollett+lists at plan9.net.nz <tcollett%2Blists at plan9.net.nz>> wrote:
> > I am trying to use the internal microphone in my laptop to make VOIP
> calls
> > (actually skype mostly). The quality of the sound is not good at all with
> > large amounts of background noise when I have the levels up high enough
> > get voice. The microphone is usable windows, and I am wondering if this
> is
> > due to software filters being applied there?
>
> Could it be that the mic-boost or some other switch of the soundcard
> is differently initialized under Windows?
> You can check in Linux with: alsamixer -c0
>
> Maarten

This email is intended for the addressee only and may contain privileged
and/or confidential information