[pulseaudio-discuss] Hiccups in audio

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Jun 6 16:07:23 PDT 2009

On Thu, 04.06.09 11:56, nikhil.rao at wipro.com (nikhil.rao at wipro.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently using pulseausio-0.9.10 in my linux iMX based system. I
> use alsa-sink and source for playback and capturing the audio data.
>
> But I am facing problem in getting the audio data right where in I get
> some kind of hiccups in between. I feel this is due the latency problem
> in the version of pulseaudio I am using.
>
> When I verified the latest version of pulseausio, I found smoother being
> used in the alsa-sink module. I hope this is to fix the latency issue
> (Please correct me if I am wrong). I want to use this smoother in my
> version of pulseaudio if it helps me fix my issue.

I doubt this would fix anything. The 'smoother' is used to deal with
timing deviations between the system and the sound card clock. Which
only matters in the timer scheduled mode of newer PA version than 0.9.10.

> My question here is can I use the time smoother frame work in my
> alsa-sink module to resolve the "hiccups" issue as is? I would really
> appreciate any kind of pointer to this as I have been struggling to get
> my audio right.

Have you tried enabling real-time scheduling?

There are many reasons why audio playback might not be as smooth as it
could be. Might be driver issues, might be kernel issues, might be PA
issues by itself. From outside I can only give hints but you need to
track down the issues yourself...

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net