[pulseaudio-discuss] client communication with DBUS?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Jun 6 16:41:42 PDT 2009

On Thu, 28.05.09 09:16, pl bossart (bossart.nospam at gmail.com) wrote:

> Lennart,
> In another thread on JACK/PA integration, you wrote:
>
> > I am sorry to inform you that eventually PA will use D-Bus for client
> > communication too. Already now building PA without D-Bus is not really
> > supported anymore (read: noone bothers to check if those builds still
> > compile).
>
> Could you please elaborate on this? What type of
> messages/functionality would be exposed to the client?

Adding to what Tanu already wrote:

My plan is to get rid of 'homegrown' protocols in the long run, and
instead use 'standard' protocols whereever possible and sensible,
extending them if needed. So eventually I hope to provide an interface
that relies on D-Bus for control and RTP for the actual data
transfer. Implementing this and bringing this to the level of the
current 'native' protocol will be a lot of work, so we'll do this
gradually. Also, some protocols might need to be extended quite a
bit, for example if we want to keep the SHM data transfer and but use
it as a transport for RTP.

For the beginning the focus is solely on the general, not time
critical daemon control. i.e. listing modules/sinks/sources/streams,
subscribing to changes, changing volume and so on.

When that basic stuff works the next step would probably be to beef up
the current RTP code, and wrap it in D-Bus, so that we can set up/tear
down RTP streams. But tbh, this is something that won't happen anytime
soon. Don't hold your breath.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net