[pulseaudio-discuss] some-alpha-numerics:default-source

mike _ arizonagroovejet at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 12:52:45 PDT 2009

All the files in ~/.pulse start with a seemingly random string of
alpha-numerics. E.g

4c35f0be69b46533db7910b04a13ea32:default-sink

526a19f0d6a0d9fdf443ad6e4a1f9552:default-sink

It seems that PulseAudio never cleans these up and over time a user
will accumulate more and more of these files, especially if they don't
always log in to the same machine. In an environment where users have
quotas applied to their home directories and will log in to whichever
machine in a lab happens to be free, such an accumulation is a Bad
Thing.

I could nuke the user's ~/.pulse directory when they log out. But
that's rather inelegant and will break a user's sound if for some
reason whilst they're logged in to one machine they decide to log in
and out of a second machine

I'm assuming that the alphanumeric string is unique to the user's
session/the machine/something and so I could remove only the files
that relate tot he session they're logging out of if I could work out
which those files were.

So what, if anything, is that alphanumeric string based upon? Is there
a way to determine the value of that string for the current session,
thus enabling deletion of the files that have names begining with it?

thanks,

mike