[pulseaudio-discuss] some-alpha-numerics:default-source

mike _ arizonagroovejet at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 15:10:12 PDT 2009

2009/6/9 Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>:
> It's the (D-Bus) machine id (/var/lib/dbus/machine-id) . We use it to
> make sure that we store device-specific information only
> per-machine. The D-Bus machine id is always available, unique to the
> machine and much more useful than hostnames in times where hostnames
> can change dynamically during runtime.
> If this ID changes across reboots on your machine then your OS
> very broken, since it appears to regenerate the DBus machine id each
> time. It's not supposed to do that.

I've been testing automated installs so have re-installed the same
machine a bunch of times, hence that machine has had multiple DBus
ids, hence I've ended up with more sets of files than machines I've
ever logged in to and hence a suspicion that maybe the pulseaudio's
creation of files was based on something more than a
one-set-of-files-per-machine basis.

> And yes, if you log in from a different machine then you'll get a new
> set of config files, that's the whole idea.

Makes sense. One set of files per-machine is still going to
potentially cause my users quota problems, but now I know it is only
one set per-machine (unless of course the machine gets re-installed)
and how to identify them, deleting the files on log out should be
easy.

> Also, note that all released versions of PA used gdbm as the
> device/stream/card database format. However gdbm creates perversly
> large files on NFS because it uses the device's native block size,
> which can be quite large. [1]

I believe it was me who raised that issue on this list :)

thanks,

mike