[pulseaudio-discuss] Flash playback wtih Pulseaudio

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jun 12 08:47:03 PDT 2009

On Thu, 11.06.09 12:36, Harsha, Priya (priya.harsha at intel.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to pulse audio. I am developing an ALSA driver. I found that aplay was working fine but when I tried to run Flash, it stopped intermittently.
>
> I then tried running flash through pulse audio and it worked fine.
>
> Can anyone educate me how flash works through pulse audio and where
> can I find more information on this? I would like to understand what
> is the difference between using flash with and without pulse audio.

Flash accesses PA through the ALSA plugin we provide. i.e. PCM data
will flow from Flash through the ALSA libraries to PA and then through
the ALSA libraries again to the kernel drivers.

There a re a lot of complexities involved. It's really not that easy
to say what exactly might be the cause why playback works with PA but
doesn't with bare ALSA.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net