[pulseaudio-discuss] Working with PA and jack

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Jun 13 09:07:55 PDT 2009

On 27 May 2009, Lennart Poettering outgrape:

> On Thu, 28.05.09 04:53, Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey at boosthardware.com) wrote:
>
>> I think it is useful that you have the internal api calls so dbus is not
>> a requirement for communicating with PA.
>
> I am sorry to inform you that eventually PA will use D-Bus for client
> communication too.

What, no shared library?

Won't that break compatibility with, well, every single PA user?

Won't that piss off every single PA user? We've seen this sort of thing
with gstreamer before, and even now, *years* later, there are still
some apps that haven't migrated to the gstreamer 0.10 API. And that
was a relatively minor thing, not a matter of ripping out simple
function calls and changing it to thrashing about with d-bus.

Plus: anything can make function calls, but personally after one
experience too many with libdbus killing my entire application without
warning or notice because it disliked something I'd done, I'd rather
throw myself off a very high cliff than use libdbus in anything for
which crashing has bad consequences. Note that e.g. the X developers
came to the same conclusion regarding using dbus in the X server. If PA
moves to only allowing clients to communicate with it via dbus, then
applications that must not crash will have to stop talking to PA, it's
that simple.