[pulseaudio-discuss] Slashdot/Article slamming PA.

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jun 19 16:28:55 PDT 2009

On Fri, 19.06.09 23:32, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thought I'd point out this:
>
> http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/2009/06/state-of-sound-in-linux-not-so-sorry.html
>
> Linked from
> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/06/19/1937210/State-Of-Sound-Development-On-Linux-Not-So-Sorry-After-All
>
> Lennart, if you have time, it may be worth writing up clearly why you
> disagree with some of the points here. When done it would be worth
> posting it as a follow up on Slashdot.

Nah, this is a complete and utter bullshit story. Slashdot just proved
again that it is full of nonsense. Gah. Disgusting.

I don't think that this deserves a real response. I mean
really, this smells more like a astroturfing from 4front, with all
that OSS4 fanboyism.

This guys is just some lame fud blogger, not a technical guy who does
any real the work, knows the technical details, works with the
community and gets his stuff into the kernel or the distributions.

Would be good if Slashdot would verify that the folks whose story they
post actually know what they are talking about. Because this dude
obviously hasn't. But I guess Slashdot is not the New York Times and
asking some actual respected Linux developers or even just
linux-audio-devel before publishing such FUD stories would be asking for
too much.

That famous Adobe jungle picture that was posted 2007 was grossly
misleading already, and it still is. At least arts, nas, esd, oss were
obsolete back then already, and mentioning almost unknown niche system
such as Allegro or ClanLib doesn't make it any better.

What I have to say about the situation of Linux audio APIs I posted here:

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/guide-to-sound-apis.html

If you care enough about slashdot, then try to get them to bring a
story about that blog story, even if it is already frm last year. As a
change from their usual stories this one, as I dare to say, would be
written by someone who has at least a bit insight into what's really
going on. ;-)

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net