[pulseaudio-discuss] How Do I avoid System Mode?

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Mon Jun 22 17:51:15 PDT 2009

Colin Guthrie wrote:

> Pulse will start via two ways normally:
>
> 1. It will autospawn itself when the user runs an app that wants to use
> pulse and will die after a period of inactivity.
> 2. It will be started at X11 login via an XDG compliant .desktop file
> and remain for the duration of the X11 session.

This is how I thought it should work.  Thanks for the confirmation.
I had tried this, but pulse never started.  I will try again, this
time paying attention to the permissions.

> Depending on the use case for the project your working on, you can do
> one of two things:
>
>  1. Just use the autospawn system if the user playing audio is local to
> your machine.
>  2. Create a system service script that runs pulseaudio at boot and
> keeps it there (e.g. disable the automatically dying part!) dropping
> privs first to your user so that root is not involved. (su -c
> "pulseaudio" or similar).

I'm doing this now, however, I'm running in system mode.  I will
try and drop from root to pulseaudio user without system mode and
see how that goes.

Thanks Col!

Jim