[pulseaudio-discuss] giving custom names to devices

Jost-Philip Matysik matysik at tu-harburg.de
Tue Jun 23 03:11:55 PDT 2009

Col wrote:

> While still "manual" you can "fix" things up with pacmd - see below.

Look! it's a conlose application, and it accepts parameters for the
PA daemon at runtime! This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

Is there any chance of maybe adressing the sinks by bus path? I have
two identical cards and it's pretty hard to keep them apart otherwise...

Greetings,

Jost

'Twas brillig, and Jost-Philip Matysik at 20/06/09 00:07 did gyre and
gimble:
> Hi!
>
> Mark Greenwood wrote:
>> Something I wondered about was whether it would be possible to give
>> devices user-defined names. This would help specifically when network
>> sinks are in use, so that I could send audio to 'Kitchen' instead of
>> 'powermac snapper (00:10) on mac'... trips off the tongue a little
>> easier, is all :)
>>
>> Mark
>
> Is there any news on this? For me it's just cosmetics, but I'm
> sorry to report routing her audio from "PAPLAY:STDIN" to
> "USB_0777:x3425" just to have music in the kitchen is something my
> girlfriend won't accept as practical any time soon...

While still "manual" you can "fix" things up with pacmd - see below.

> I believe it should be possible using virtual ALSA devices (like the
> ones used to combine 3 stereo cards into multichannel). As I
> understand it it should be possible to create a virtual device with a
> catchy name in .asoundrc and then patch all channels through to the
> hardware device. But I've never really dealt with alsa configuration
> so I don't know how these virtual devices handle sample rate and
> bitrate etc, and considering that hardware autodetect works really
> great in Pulseaudio it seems like a lot of work and opportunity for
> desaster when all I want is customize a display name...

While this should be do-able it wont really work easily as the devices
will not be auto-detected.

It's possible to update the proplist automatically for the sink to
change the names:

If you know the name or index of your sink, just issue:

update-sink-proplist 0 device.description="My Preferred Name"
  of
update-sink-proplist
alsa_output.usb_device_499_3003_Ser_00_em_if0_sound_card_0
device.description="My Preferred Name"

Both should work and the second approach should be more consistent.

If you run this at login, it will still around for the duration of
pulseaudio being alive.

Not sure if there is a more comprehensive way of doing this but I've
got some things I want to work on that are kinda related to this so
I'll see what can be done....