[pulseaudio-discuss] tv-card -> on-board -> sound-card

Andreas Herrmann andreasherrmann at student.ethz.ch
Sun Jun 28 10:31:29 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,
I've some problems with my sound configuration for my tv-card.

First of all my hardware setup:
I've got an Intel HDA on-board sound-chip, an additional PCI sound-card
(Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro) and a PCI TV-Card (Bt878 chip).
My 5.1 Speakers are connected to the Audigy, such that every Audigy-jack
is in use. The TV-Card has a line-out which is connected directly to the
on-board line-in.
(The TV-Card has also a line-in, but I couldn't figure out how to use
it.)

The software and the symptoms:
I'm running Ubuntu Linux 8.04 (Hardy) with pulseaudio, of course ;).
XawTV is my television application of choice.
The Audigy is configured as default sink and works for music, system
beeps and so on, but not for television.
If I plug headphones to the on-board speaker-jack I can hear the
television sound coming out of the headphones, while XawTV is running.
How ever if I look at the
PulseAudio_Manager->Devices->Properties->Volume_Meter window the only
device that 'shows' some sound-output is the Audigy (music), but the
on-board sink and every source listed pretends to be quiet, even if I
can hear the TV sound with the headphones.

Finally. My question:
How do I make pulseaudio to pass the tv-sound to the Audigy, such that I
can hear the television sound with the speakers connected to the
sound-card?

If additional information is required, just tell me.
I've already searched google and the pulseaudio FAQ, but I couldn't find
anything helpful. Maybe I had the wrong search terms.
Any hint is appreciated :).

Thanks in advance,
Andreas.