[pulseaudio-discuss] Odd behaviour with remote startX session

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Jun 28 11:21:41 PDT 2009

On Sun, 28.06.09 17:44, Anil Seth (seth.anil at gmail.com) wrote:

> > When you switch vt, console kit notices this and will change the ACL
> > literally as you switch vt, thus giving you permission again. You can test
> > this easily by doing the following in a perminal in the X session: sleep 5;
> > paplay /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
> >
> The console kit changing permissions is very useful. My wife and I are
> often logged in together and now a common sound server is not an
> irritant any more.
>
> It is clear now that switching to tty7 makes ConsoleKit remove the
> permissions to the audio even though it is owned by the correct user.
>
> crw--w----. 1 anil anil 4, 7 2009-06-28 17:27 /dev/tty7
>
> I suppose it looks like a distribution issue and I should raise it in Fedora.

Most likely your startx session is not registered properly in
ck. Check with "ck-list-sessions" if that sessoin shows up properly
and assigned to the correct user and vt. Only then the ACL stuff will
work correctly.

Also make sure you don't run PA as root.

If you don't want to use HAL's ACL feature consider making yourself a
member of the "audio" group.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net