[pulseaudio-discuss] Stability of PulseAudio on Ubuntu 9.04?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jun 28 14:53:51 PDT 2009

Hi,

'Twas brillig, and Timothy J Massey at 28/06/09 23:11 did gyre and gimble:
> Basically, I cannot keep PA up and running under Ubuntu 9.04.

I'm afraid none of the core devs use Ubuntu, so are not really on top of
what version you'd be using nor what custom software repositories (I
think they're called PPAs) you may be "subscribed" to, so you'll need to
give specific pulse versions you are using along with information about
any additional patches applied on top in the package.

Maintaining a pulse package is fairly involved and requires several
post-release patches to be applied. I track these patches for the 0.9.15
release in my 0.9.15-branch branch in my git (http://colin.guthr.ie/git)
which is what we ship in Mandriva and is the same list used by Fedora.

> Moving a
> sink-input around crashes PA.  Muting sink inputs crashes PA.  Basically,
> anything you want to do from the command line has a very real chance of
> killing PA.

That's pretty bizarre. I've certainly not seen that level of instability
personally.

If it does crash tho', you'll need to ensure you have debugging symbols
installed and get a good backtrace.

See http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/Community#BugsPatchesTranslations

Without a proper backtrace there is nothing we can do to debug, so this
is a very important step :)

> I was running an unupdated Ubuntu 9.04 installation.  I have now done a
> full update of all security and recommended updates, and I get the same
> results.

Again, none of the core developers here run Ubuntu so these versions
don't really have any meaning... specific pulse versions and what
patches are applied is what matters :)

> Should I move to Windows?  :)

Never!

> Any help, suggestions or comments would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Hopefully I've given some info above that'll help you give us more
meaningful info so we can solve the ultimate problem :)

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]