[pulseaudio-discuss] Remapped sinks: Descriptions and disadvantages?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jun 29 14:44:17 PDT 2009

On Sat, 27.06.09 13:13, Timothy J Massey (tmassey at obscorp.com) wrote:

> The only disadvantage of this that I can see is that pavucontrol shows
> both sinks when you go to move a stream to a different sink, and the name
> of the remapped sink is not very helpful:
>
>         Intel 82801BA-ICH2 - Intel 82801BA-ICH2
>         Remapped Intel 82801BA-ICH2 - Intel 82801BA-ICH2
>
> Especially for now, I can live with it, but is it possible to control the
> device.description of a remapped sink?
>
> Also, while I'm asking, are there disadvantages (especially performance)
> to remapping a sink like this?  For example, in comparing the sink
> information between the original and remapped sink, it seems that the
> remapped sink does not have HARDWARE HW_MUTE_CTRL HW_VOLUME_CTRL like the
> original sink does.  Will this affect CPU usage or audio quality?

This should not have any ill efects. If it has, then it is a bug. CPU
consumption should not increase measurably.

> Finally, my last question is this:  is there a way to control the actual
> name and description given to the original sink?  Especially in the
> short-term, I don't mind having to statically configure the devices in,
> say, default.pa, even if that means I can't hot-plug new devices.  I would
> certainly do this if there are CPU or quality advantages to not doing the
> module-remap-sink.

As already mentioned by other folks, just use sink_name= as argument
on the alsa-card line, and use sink_properties= for the sink
description (only on 0.9.16) or set-sink-property.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net