[pulseaudio-discuss] Mute and unmute individual sinks in a module-combine

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jun 29 15:08:22 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 29/06/09 21:55 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sun, 28.06.09 17:09, Timothy J Massey (tmassey at obscorp.com) wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Still working on my multi-zone setup.  The goal is to have multiple
>> instances of MPD playing, and being able to be routed to 0 or more zones
>> simultaneously.  Each player is connected to a unique sink created with
>> module-combine, with each of these combined sinks including *all* of the
>> physical sinks.  Something like this:
>>
>> #Physical sinks for actual hardware
>> load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,0 sink_name=zone1
>> load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:2,0 sink_name=zone2
>> load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:3,0 sink_name=zone3
>> #Module-combine sinks for handling each MPD
>> load-module module-combine sink_name=mpdplayer1 slaves=zone1,zone2,zone3
>> load-module module-combine sink_name=mpdplayer2 slaves=zone1,zone2,zone3
>> load-module module-combine sink_name=mpdplayer3 slaves=zone1,zone2,zone3
>>
>> For now, I have a single instance of MPD playing through sink mpdplayer1.
>> When I start up MPD and play something, I get audio out of all three
>> sinks.  So far, so good.
>>
>> Now, though, I would like to mute the sound in all but one of the zones. I
>> can't simply do something like:
>>
>> set-sink-mute zone2
>> set-sink-mute zone3
>>
>> Because that would mute the outputs for those zones, and they might be
>> (and likely are) playing music from one of the other MPD sessions.  What I
>> want to do is tell the module-combined sink (mpdplayer1) to only send
>> audio to one of the sinks and to mute the output to the other two sinks.
>>
>> Is this possible?  I cant seem to find a way to interact with the
>> individual channels within a module-combine...
>
> So basically you want to add/remove underlying sinks from
> a particular module-combine instance dynamically?
>
> We do that with the fully automatic mode right now. However, there is
> no way to control this manually for a specific
> instance. Sorry.

Having read the code recently I kinda figured that this may have been
the case.

I may work on a combine manipulation UI at some point in the future as
it's an oft requested feature and a nice easy way to control it would be
pretty nice.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]