[pulseaudio-discuss] Slashdot/Article slamming PA.

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 02:58:25 PDT 2009

Hi,
Lennart if you aren't keeping an eye on the discussion in article
comments here is the reply:

segedunum said...
"You know, I really, really worry about Lennart more than any
developer I have yet seen. Once again he goes on the offensive but
addresses nothing of what is written in the article. He keeps posting
back to that rather inadequate article he did about the state of audio
on Linux where he bludgeons the need for PulseAudio in. I cannot
believe the mental gymnastics people go to to justify it, and no, per
application volumes and mixing is not enough.

It is totally obvious if you look at the architecture that if you put
in layers between the application and the sound card you will add
latency. Jack at least seems to have been made with a particular use
case and set of benchmarks in mind. When it does processing as Pulse
does, as well as various other things Lennart deemed necessary, then
it will add *a lot* of latency and even worse the latency will not be
predictable at all. You have to be incredibly stupid or totally blind
not to understand that. Having been through the experience I will
*never* make a Skype call with Pulse in the middle ever again.

In addition, we've got all sorts of silly side-issues such as how one
volume slider should be enough for anyone in Fedora. Want to adjust
any other volume levels, and heaven forbid, line-in? Tough. It's not a
use case for Lennart. Keep in mind that there's nothing unusual in
this. That's all we're talking about here. Using the volume controls
you have always been able to use on any system:

If you want to do weird stuff, use weird tools. Don't expect us to
support all the exotic use cases minds could come up with to support
in a single simple UI.

http://lwn.net/Articles/330684/

At the moment I'm involved in a bit of a company project to create a
Linux desktop environment for our Rails developers to work with. I've
even had a situation with OpenSuse 11.1 in testing where no sound
comes out. I uninstall all the PulseAudio packages and it starts
working. It's going to be cheaper just to get Macs with this brain
damage going on."

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic