[pulseaudio-discuss] Assertion 'pa_frame_aligned(chunk->length, &o->source->sample_spec)' failed at pulsecore/source-output.c:429, function pa_source_output_push(). Aborting.

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Jun 30 04:57:19 PDT 2009

Using PA 0.9.15, I recently re-enabled tunnelling mode -- all of:

- Enable network access to local sound devices
  - Allow other machines on the LAN to discover local sound devices
- Make discoverable network sound devices available locally

and now I can pretty reliably reproduce:

I: module-tunnel.c: Server signalled buffer overrun/underrun.
D: module-tunnel.c: Server reports playback started.
I: module-tunnel.c: Server signalled buffer overrun/underrun.
D: module-tunnel.c: Server reports playback started.
I: module-tunnel.c: Server signalled buffer overrun/underrun.
D: module-tunnel.c: Server reports playback started.
I: module-tunnel.c: Server signalled buffer overrun/underrun.
D: module-tunnel.c: Server reports playback started.
I: module-tunnel.c: Server signalled buffer overrun/underrun.
D: module-tunnel.c: Server reports playback started.
I: module-tunnel.c: Server signalled buffer overrun/underrun.
D: module-tunnel.c: Server reports playback started.
I: module-tunnel.c: Server signalled buffer overrun/underrun.
I: module-stream-restore.c: Synced.
D: module-tunnel.c: Server reports playback started.
I: module-device-restore.c: Synced.
I: module-tunnel.c: Server signalled buffer overrun/underrun.
D: module-tunnel.c: Server reports playback started.
I: module-tunnel.c: Server signalled buffer overrun/underrun.
D: module-tunnel.c: Server reports playback started.
I: module-tunnel.c: Server signalled buffer overrun/underrun.
D: module-rtp-recv.c: Checking for dead streams ...
D: module-tunnel.c: Server reports playback started.
E: alsa-sink.c: ALSA woke us up to write new data to the device, but there was actually nothing to write!
E: alsa-sink.c: Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver 'snd_hda_intel'. Please report this issue to the ALSA developers.
E: alsa-sink.c: We were woken up with POLLOUT set -- however a subsequent snd_pcm_avail() returned 0 or another value < min_avail.
I: module-tunnel.c: Server signalled buffer overrun/underrun.
E: source-output.c: Assertion 'pa_frame_aligned(chunk->length, &o->source->sample_spec)' failed at pulsecore/source-output.c:429, function pa_source_output_push(). Aborting.
Aborted

Simply by starting an audio application and then starting pavucontrol
and fiddling with some volumes.

Cheers,
b.