[pulseaudio-discuss] RTP delay and another problem

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jun 30 07:02:27 PDT 2009

On Mon, 15.06.09 16:36, Jonathan Abrams (jonathan.abrams at windriver.com) wrote:

> Hey folks,
> I've been having a couple issues with RTP. I'm using pulseaudio 0.9.15.
> For some background, I have a system set up where I have one machine
> running module-rtp-send, attached to the monitor of a null sink. The
> receiving machine has module-rtp-recv loaded, that then attaches to a
> null sink. This allows me to hook up applications to RTP as if it were
> any other device. So far so good!
>
> Here are my problems:
> 1) When I make a connection and start to play some audio there's an
> approximately 5 second delay before audio is heard on the receiving end.
> These 5 seconds also appear to be 'lost', not just buffered. What could
> be causing this? Is this a known issue or a bug, or just how it normally
> works? Is there a workaround or fix?

Uh. This might be the SAP pickup time. Dunno.

> 2) Because I sometimes need to connect the RTP stream (being passed
> through a null sink) to a device instead of an application, I use a
> 'pacat -r -d <deviceid1> | pacat -p -d <deviceid2>' loopback. This
> will

The clocks of those two devices don't need to be in sync, so this must
dropout sooner or later.

But why are doing this anyway? You can just load module-rtp-recv on
the right sink and have it deal with the clock deviations.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net