[pulseaudio-discuss] giving custom names to devices

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Mar 2 17:54:45 PST 2009

On Wed, 25.02.09 15:37, H.S. (hs.samix at gmail.com) wrote:

> > current logic uses the card name information from ALSA and tries to
> > avoid any more technical information in that name.
> >
> > THe names still suck though because that creates names like "USB-Audio
> > - USB Device 0x471:0x311".
> >
> > It would be much better if we could use the lspci or lsusb text. That
> > information is available via HAL, but I don't see how to get that data
> > correctly. i.e. we could go up in the hal tree until we find a
> > useful description. But I am a bit afraid that this might cause us to
> > take the description from the PCI bridge if the pci devcies connected
> > to it lack one.

The version of PA in git now uses the strings from lsusb/lspci to name
sound cards. For that to work you need a very recent udev version and
today's snapshot of udev-extras.

Also, with an udev rule like this:

  SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0471", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0311", ENV{SOUND_DESCRIPTION}="Dudeldidum Awesome Sound Card"

you may now set the name PA uses for the device the way you
want. Better then doing this though in many cases is to patch the
pci.ids/usb.ids database and send this upstream so that everyone can
make use of the better names.

Finally, with this new udev logic in place the internal sound card
will be simply called "Internal Audio", similar to how MacOS does it.