[pulseaudio-discuss] Threaded loops and theoretical deadlock in reference implementation (and lots of code).

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Mar 3 03:17:02 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 03/03/09 02:14 did gyre and gimble:
>> As I said in my last comment, I'm pretty sure the problem is the abuse
>> of the gtk main loop (which they exit and restart) but as I'm not really
>> a gtk hacker I'm not too sure.
>
> I'd need a full backtrace (over all threads!) to say something. The
> bugzilla report only contains bts for one trhead.

That is the one and only tread!

Like I say, I suspect this is related to the abuse of the gtk main loop
entering and exiting and not handling things in a proper multi-threaded way.

As I'm not a gtk hacker, I have to ask whether:
  a) Are single threaded GTK apps supported by GTK?
  b) Can GTK modules (e.g. libcanberra) detect this and take appropriate
action?
  c) Should libcanberra's pulse driver be async rather than blocking so
as to work as a GTK module in a single threaded app?

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]